- This event has passed.
Center on Race & Social Problems: 2015 Summer Institute
July 29, 2015 @ 8:30 am - 4:30 pmFREE
The Summer Institute will be hosted by the Center on Race and Social Problems and is funded by The Heinz Foundation and the Falk Foundation.
The goals of the Summer Institute are to:
- Briefly review the current state of knowledge regarding racial disparities in school discipline both locally and nationally, and best practices for equitable disciplinary approaches
- Identify specific policies, programs and other actions that could be taken to reduce racial disparities in Pittsburgh and Allegheny County
- Gain experience in leading equitable practices for racial justice in school discipline
During the institute, participants will have extensive opportunities to discuss the issues and a real opportunity to see and/or experience the work first hand. At the conclusion of each institute, participants will have a better understanding of racial school discipline disparities and possible solutions. The institute will feature an outstanding set of presenters who are local and national leaders in the field of school discipline equity, including:
- Daniel Losen (Keynote): Civil Rights Project, UCLA
- Curtiss Sarikey, Associate Superintendent, Oakland Unified School District (CA)
- Sam Pasarow, Principal, Berkeley High School (CA)
- Nancy Potter, Education Law Center, (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Udora and Nicole, Restorative Justice Collaborative of Houston (TX)
The institute will be held in the Conference Center on the 20th floor of the Cathedral of Learning on July 29th, 2015, from 8am to 4:30pm. Breakfast and lunch will be served. Parking is available in the garage at Soldiers and Sailors Memorial at Fifth Avenue and Bigelow Boulevard.
Click here for more information and an agenda for the day.
Participation in these institutes is free but registration is required as space is limited.
Register online at http://www.crsp.pitt.edu/node/1815 within one week of the institute.
Please contact Briana Henry at 412-624-7382 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Cathedral of Learning, 20th Floor Conference Room
4200 Fifth Ave
Pittsburgh, PA United States + Google Map